While not specifically a financial planning article, we believe it’s time to review your Cyber Security and ensure you are protected.
Do you know how valuable you are? Identity thieves do! Every year thousands of Australians have their identities stolen. Criminals use stolen personal information to commit identity crimes. This can leave their victims with a bad credit rating and impact their ability to gain finance, run a business, or access government services.
Here are 7 tips to help you.
- Establish a 2-step verification process on all your devices.
- Check if you have been hacked. Go to haveibeenpwned.com.au It’s as simple as entering your email to check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.
- Check the security of your passwords. Go to howsecureismypassword.net and enter your password to check how long it would take a computer to crack your password.
- Backup your data. It’s not if, but when you will lose your data or potentially be held ransom. It’s as cheap as $7 a month or $89 for an external device.
- Review the data you hold & who has access to it. Make updates to your security where necessary.
- Update your social media privacy settings.
- Register on staysmartonline.gov.au This website send private alerts for being cyber safe & ongoing tips to keep up-to-date.
Remember, if you’re concerned about fraudulent activity or access to your account, call your bank immediately. You can report scams to the police, to ScamWatch, or to your state/territory’s consumer affairs authority.
Financial services providers are on the front line of data protection, fraud and theft attempts and need to be vigilant to protect our client records. You can help us by following our 7 tips.
We are able to provide financial advice to anyone who would like to work with us, no matter what their circumstances are. We do however specialise in supporting young families and those getting ready for retirement.
Call us today on 4032 7934 to book a complimentary meeting with one of our specialist Financial Advisers.